We have now launched a new wind map at Yr!
The wind map is the first map to be made available on the new map solution we have been working on for a long time at Yr. It is important to note that the map is still a work in progress, and now we need help testing it. We would like you to use the map and give us your feedback. Send comments and requests to email@example.com. You will receive an automatic reply, but we read and consider all submissions.
How to use the wind map
You can find our new wind map by pressing the map button on the front page, pressing the link in the menu or selecting the map tab from the location page.
At Yr, we have weather data for the whole world, but it is extra precise for the Nordic areas. The wind map therefore gives you the opportunity to get an overview of the wind in an area. You can choose how large or small an area you want to see by zooming in or out on the map. You can see the wind forecast for a single location by tapping on the map.
The purple color indicates wind speed and is specifically designed so that people who are color blind can distinguish between mild and strong wind. The white particles indicate wind direction.
At the bottom of the map you will find a timeline that you can use to see how the wind changes over time. Today we have a wind forecast for the next xx hours.
What's coming in the next version?
We hope to launch the next version of the wind map in the first quarter of 2023. In addition to taking input from our users, there are some things we already know we want to improve.
- Update of wind forecast every hour instead of every three hours as in the first version.
- We will consider stronger marking of wind fields to make speed differences even clearer.
- Sami location names.
- Extend the period of the forecast.
- Smoother movements when playing the time intervals.
- Possibility to change the unit in the map (m/s, knots, Beaufort).
- Offer the wind map in the apps.
- Further improvement of accessibility.